Simply put, laser dentistry is a painless dental treatment that relies on intense beams of light—also known as lasers—to treat a variety of dental conditions. These beams of light are generated by a dental laser, a term which stands for “light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.”
As opposed to drills or other conventional equipment, this form of treatment can be employed for procedures that remove or shape hard or soft tissue. Laser dentistry is well known for its precision, accuracy, and a reduced level of pain, particularly when compared to other dental technologies.
Since gaining FDA approval decades ago, laser dentistry has often been used in place of traditional dental techniques. In fact, many dental practices regard laser dentistry as a safe and painless dental treatment that reduces bleeding and allows for speedier post-treatment recovery times. What’s more, laser dentistry reduces the anxiety level for patients who are intimidated by the sounds and sensations of dental drills and sharp instruments.
Galleria Dental is proud to offer the latest advancements in dental laser technology, along with other cutting-edge tools and techniques. Learn more about our state-of-the-art laser dentistry services by calling (713) 960-9926 today!
What Are the Benefits of Laser Dentistry?
Here are several key benefits of laser dentistry provides several key benefits:
- Allows tissues to quickly heal and regenerate
- Preserves a greater portion of one’s natural tooth
- Reduces dental bleeding during and after the procedure
- Offers painless dental treatment without the need for anesthesia
- Minimizes excessive use of stitches and sutures
- Decreases potential of post-procedure infections
One of the key advantages that laser dentistry offers over a conventional dental procedure such as a root call is decreased pain. Because it is a painless dental treatment, patients are likely to feel more encouraged to make the regular dental visits they need to maintain optimal dental health.
How is Laser Dentistry Used?
Laser-based treatments are versatile enough to be used in a variety of ways, including the following:
- Preparing a tooth for filling without the need for drilling or pain-killing medicine, while also eliminating oral bacteria
- Reshaping soft tissue by dissolving soft tissue in order to expose a greater portion of natural tooth, a practice also known as crown lengthening
- Removing soft tissue that is aesthetically displeasing and/or causes discomfort
- Improving the speech patterns of patients by “untying” his/her tongue, in a practice known as frenectomy
- Surgically removing tumors that form in soft dental tissues; a sample of tissue can also be extracted for examination to determine a potential disease, a process known as a biopsy
- Whitening teeth by using lasers to increase particle activity within the peroxide bleaching solution
In addition, laser dentistry can address dental issues such as tooth decay and gum disease by removing decayed tissue and pulp, as well as by reducing inflammation. Laser dentistry can also be used as a cosmetic procedure to reshape a patient’s gum tissue so that he or she can enjoy a beautiful, healthy smile.
Who Do I Talk to About Scheduling a Laser Dentistry Visit?
Do you have questions or concerns about how are laser procedures performed? If so, do not hesitate to contact us. Schedule a consultation by calling Galleria Dental at (713) 960-9926!