Who Becomes a Pediatric Dentist?
Due to the fact that they work primarily with children, pediatric dentists face challenges unlike few members of the dental profession. For this reason, pediatric dentists have a higher degree of training they must complete—in addition to four years of dental school, they must also complete two years of specialized training. At the end of this training, they are issued a unique diploma by the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry (ABDP). They are now ready to practice their craft as pediatric dentists in Houston and wherever else high quality dental care is needed.
Recognized as a specialty field by the American Dental Association (ADA), pediatric dentistry focuses on positive oral health outcomes of children from infancy through adolescence. Also known as pedodontists, pediatric dentists care for a child’s teeth, gums and mouth throughout the various stages of childhood. Some pedondists are specially trained to treat children with special needs (e.g., autism, mental retardation, cerebral palsy). A key aspect to a pediatric dentist training is a strong background in child psychology, which enables the pedodontist to relieve a young person’s anxiousness about visiting the dentist, particularly if it’s their first time. At Galleria Dental, we take particular pride in providing Houston pediatric dentists who can deliver a safe, comfortable and fun environment for children of all ages.
What Does a Pediatric Dentist Do?
A pediatric dentist at Galleria Dental—or indeed, any pediatric dentist in Houston or outside of it—has a special set of skills pertaining to overall oral health and hygiene. Along these lines, pedondists place particular emphasis on such issues as caring for deciduous (baby) teeth, ensuring proper speech production and creating space for permanent, adult teeth. Other aspects of pediatric oral health care include the following:
- Educating children about the importance of oral health through the use of using models, computer technology and child-friendly terminology
- Advising parents about methods of preventing childhood dental disease, preventing dental trauma and establishing good eating habits
- Monitoring the growth and development of teeth, gums and mouth in order to anticipate and address potential dental issues
- Preserving or developing a child’s positive self-esteem through the use of corrective dental procedures
- Establishing good oral health habits early through regular check-ups and dental cleanings, as well as consistent brushing and flossing at home
- Counseling parents on methods for preventing and/or ceasing bad habits such as pacifier use and thumb sucking
- Caring for dental injuries and accidents that result in chipped, cracked, displaced or loose teeth
How Do I Find a Pediatric Dentist?
Pediatric dentists practice in a variety of dental clinics throughout the Houston area, including at Galleria Dental. A Houston pediatric dentist will discuss a wide range of treatment options to help ensure that your child’s teeth, gums and mouth are properly cared for. With that in mind, finding a Galleria pediatric dentist should not be too difficult—simply call us during normal business hours and we would be happy to schedule your child or children for an appointment.